Diane, Dave and Zona Fred

Diane, Dave and Zona Fred
The advocate, the shoe-less one and the pooch

Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Gift of Imperfection

I didn't come up with this title, I stole it from a book written by Brene Brown. In her book she provides insight as to how we can actually go about embracing our imperfection. I've read this book at least two times. Both, around the wintry season. 

No matter how many times it's been digested, the book still gets to me. In summary, Brown encourages us all to embrace our imperfections and realize these parts about ourselves which we often try to hide are often the sticky tack which connects us to all the other humans around us. We don't want it to be this way, at least I don't. It's much more attractive to think our shiny parts and brushed (and flossed) teeth do the trick. 

Yesterday, I was talking to a dear friend over the phone, for some reason (mostly because she knows my ugly parts already) I found myself telling her about two incidents in which I left the house less than fully clothed. Once in a see through shirt and once in my skirt leggings instead of my work out pants. Shared laughter erupted as our collective wardrobe malfunctions tickled our funny bones. Turns out, she had similar days even this very week. 

Sticky tack-like stories, connect us a little more. Reduce our isolation. Make us breathe easier and settle into ourselves. Yoga instructors would be proud of me if they knew what I did (when I told my see-through shirt story), they're always teaching me to "spread my sit bones" and realize my oneness with the Earth. Of course, it's much easier to tell a funny story on myself to a close friend than it is to really "spread my sit bones" in any yoga class. 

Some yogis find this lotus pose relaxing because they actual practice this pose more than when they hit up the $5 Friday night Yoga special. Practicing getting comfortable with our imperfections, our see-through shirt moments must be more than a once a day gig. One time, in the heat of an argument, I reminded my husband Dave about how things would go better in life for him if he laughed at himself more often. Still working to take my own advice. Day-by-day, imperfection noticed and embraced one-by-one....I'm getting closer.  Writing and posting this blog (without intense editing) is one way I'm embracing... Enjoy. 

No comments: